Saturday, September 5, 2009

September 3, 2009: Stanley, Idaho and vicinity...

Woke up at 6:30 AM MDT which is oversleeping by EDT time standards... felt pretty good! Breakfast and get organized for the day... Mike to mountain bike and myself to go to Redfish Lake and figure out the day from there... Dropped Mike off to head out on his ride around 10:15 AM and headed to Redfish Lake... By the time I figured out what I wanted to do for the day, it was almost noon and I paid my money ($15 round trip) to take the shuttle boat service from the main dock to Redfish Inlet.

Once at the end of the lake, things got a bit tricky... wanted to hike to Lily Pond and the guidebook said go ~80 feet to the trail head after crossing the second bridge over the creek... BUT... I went somewhere between 300 and 500 feet beyond the second bridge without ever reaching the trail head for Lily Pond... so back down the steepest part of the trail I went... back to the bridge to see if I could figure out where I went wrong... and luckily met up with some veteran Lily Pond trail hikers who assured me I was on the right trail. SO, I think my guidebook meant go 800 feet past the second bridge to reach the trailhead because reach it eventually, I did! And I suppose it didn't hurt me that much to hike the roughest part of the trail twice.

Made the 3:00 PM shuttle boat back to the main dock and headed back to Stanley... met up with Mike on the road but he didn't want a ride so made his way 'home' on two wheels while I stopped and took MORE photos... What follows are a few from the day's adventures.

Bakery in Stanley Idaho with Sawtooth Mountains in background
Early morning shot of Bakery with Sawtooth Mountains in the background...
bicyclist heading out for bike ride
Mike on his way to bike Fisher Creek trail...
men working on fence repair
Modern day range workers mending a fence... two working (one holding the rail and one pounding away) and two supervising...
Mt. Heyburn as seen from road to Redfish Lake
View of Mt. Heyburn on the way to Redfish Lake...
Victoria at Lily Pond with Mt. Heyburn in the background
Victoria at Lily Pond with Mt/ Heyburn in the background...
Sawtooth Mountains with boat spray as seen from shuttle boat on Redfish Lake
Sawtooth Mountains as seen from the rear of the shuttle boat taking passengers back from Redfish Inlet to the main dock at Redfish Lake, Idaho...
roadside view of the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho
Roadside view of the Sawtooth Mountains...
sun setting over the town of Stanley, Idaho
Sun setting over Stanley, Idaho as seen from the airport....
moon rising as seen from the Stanley, Idaho airport
Moonrise over Stanley, Idaho...

1 comment:

dyanna said...

Very beautiful places.